Encouraging Quality Writing on Discussion Boards > Chris Halem

In her 2003 book, Discussion-Based Online Teaching to Enhance Student Learning, Tisha Bender  tells this story:

In one of the first online classes I taught, I had a student with whom I had spoken on the phone at the beginning of the semester, and was immediately struck by how articulate, enthusiastic, and intelligent she sounded. Yet five days elapsed and there were no online responses from her. Surprised by this, I called her again. She explained her silence by saying that she thought she had to write something very formal for the online discussion, complete with an outline and footnotes. I told her that the time for that sort of polish was in the written papers and exams. The online discussion, I informed her, was just that—an opportunity for bouncing intelligent, informative ides off each other in a spontaneous stream of consciousness. (pp. 58 – 59).

I have to say that I disagree with Dr. Bender. In fact, the thought of reading 20 or more stream of consciousness discussion posts each week is rather frightening. On the contrary, while I don’t think that discussion board posts have to be as formal as essays, I do believe that they should adhere to the practices of good writing. Discussion board can be an opportunity for us to teach and for our students to learn and practice good writing skills. This is the equation I share with my students: Great content + Great form = Great discussion.

What is great discussion board form? I recommend this to my students:
Greeting (“Hello, Classmates and Prof,” e.g.)
[space]

1st paragraph with your 1st idea
[space]

2nd  paragraph with your 2nd  idea
[space]

Use as many paragraphs as you have separate ideas
[space]

Signature (Your first or your first and last name)
I believe that there are several advantages to this format. First, it follows the form of an essay thus giving students practice with writing essays. Second, it’s an organized way to approach the discussion question and as such can assist students in organizing their thoughts and the points they want to address. Third, as an organizing method, it can help students address all parts of a multi-part discussion question. This prevents them from losing grading points because they didn’t fully address the question. Fourth, when students start to think of discussion questions as formal pieces of writing rather than stream of consciousness, anything goes, off-the-cuff responses to a question, they become more thoughtful in their responses and increase their learning and that of their classmates. Firth, and this is an advantage for us, it’s a lot easier to read and understand organized discussion posts. That makes us better facilitators of the discussion.

I teach both first term students and those who are close to graduation. With first term students I introduce the concept of discussion board as a mini-essay from day one. It’s part of what I discuss in my first seminar, and I post the suggested form on the first discussion board. I find that it takes a unit or two to get everyone on board, but everyone eventually follows the form.

Depending on their prior classes and professors, students who are close to graduation may never have thought about discussion board as a miniature writing project. Nonetheless, when I explain the form and the reasons for it, most of them start to use it and report that they find it an effective and efficient way to approach discussion questions.

In the online environment, I tell my students, “We are what we write.” Given that, it’s essential that everything we write represents us at our best. Discussion board postings are no exception.

References
Bender, T. (2003). Discussion-based online teaching to
     enhance student learning. Sterling. Virginia: Stylus
     Publishing.



Did you know...

... that Chris Halem is an amateur potter?

Chris Halem is a professor in the Department of Professional Studies at Kaplan University and teaches Academic Strategies, Advanced Career Development Strategies and Career Development Strategies.

No comments: