From a Student’s Perspective: Developing Strong Writing Skills in All Courses > Susan Honea


As I recently pondered the concept of Writing Across the Curriculum and how I could make a difference with my CM105 (Effective Writing I for Business Majors) students, I reminded myself I am actually not just a faculty member; I’m also a KU student (Advanced Start Bachelor of Science, Health Science/Nutrition). As an instructor, however, I want to help students understand why writing is so important in all classes and not just for those courses that are writing-intensive. That’s not an easy thing to do! Through my experience as an instructor, I’ve come to realize three areas where we can help our students become better writers and learners: 1) Provide thorough feedback on all written assignments; 2) facilitate discussions with care; and 3) reach out to students.

Provide Thorough Feedback on All Written Assignments

Entry-level writers, such as those I encounter in CM105, usually cannot see the bigger picture regarding their writing. In fact, many of these students are terrified of writing. In addition, students at this level sometimes need remediation in mechanics, which most of our courses aren’t really designed to provide. That’s okay. I see this type of remediation as part of the overall feedback process, and I try to provide detailed, rules-based comments as often as I can. And while I probably don’t need remediation in mechanics in my student papers (although some of my professors may argue that point!), I appreciate when my instructors point out areas where I can write things more concisely.

I have attended several seminars and webinars during which the speakers suggested providing too much, overly detailed feedback is overwhelming and discouraging to students. In my experience as an instructor, however, I have found (and continue to find) students appreciate the fact that I care enough to show them how to improve. Does this mean I should return a two-paragraph restatement of facts with every single word or phrase marked for correction? No, of course not. To a certain extent, there is a fine line between not enough and too much feedback. If I put my student hat on and examine this issue, I can prove I have done much better in those classes where the instructor gave me more feedback; therefore, I try to model my feedback after those instructors who’ve helped me improve the most. For instance, I frame my constructive feedback with positive comments, even if they’re as mundane as, “Thank you for turning in your work on time.” I can’t begin to tell you how much easier it is to accept the criticism when buffer statements are used.

Another important aspect of feedback is to provide students with the rationale behind your comments. For example, if you see an incorrect word usage issue, provide the student with a Writing Center source or Web site for additional tutorials and help. If you see the student has the same or similar errors on future assignments, refer the student for tutoring or ask him or her to seek feedback from a Writing Center tutor.

Facilitate Your Discussions With Care

Our ability to help students improve their writing isn’t exclusively focused on their written projects. I think we actually have more impact in discussion forums. Think about it. Where do we—and our students—spend the most time each unit?

As a student, I see discussion as the only opportunity I have to develop rapport with my instructor and classmates. The discussions I enjoy the most are the ones where the instructor is very active and makes me think. When I put my instructor hat on, I participate in discussion as if I’m actually a player/coach. Think about the messages you post.
  • Are you the first person to post in each thread each week? If not, consider whether you might be missing an opportunity to frame the discussion and provide additional helpful resources up front.
  • Are you meeting the minimum word count requirements established for your students? If not, perhaps it’s time to consider changing how you respond. After all, the students will model their responses based on what you’ve posted.
  • Are you addressing students by name? If you want students to have conversations with their peers, show them how. Remember, we want these students to develop a learning community in each discussion, whether they’re in a writing, marketing, math, or science class.
  • Do you tie your initial discussion questions to a specific course outcome? If not, consider whether your students understand how the discussion questions and their responses relate to the course outcomes and their overall success in learning the subject matter. Helping students make these connections also impacts how well students articulate their knowledge.
  • Do you provide “outside” activities in addition to what’s available in the course shell? If not, consider previous times you taught the course. With which areas did students struggle? Are there online resources you can provide to help current students avoid these same pitfalls (for example, Writing Center tutorials or other online resources). Try building mini-lecturesusing PowerPoint with narration or Jing! Students love these, and they appreciate your extra efforts.

Don’t Forget About Outreach

Even with all this feedback and interaction, some students need more help building their writing skills. In the classes I take, my attention is captured by the instructors who send emails regarding projects and other items. Why? It shows they care enough to want me to do well.

Have you ever considered how your outside interaction (emails and phone calls) impacts your students? I didn’t until I heard Kimberly Byrd, Accounting Professor in the School of Business and Management, talk about how she has improved student retention in her classes.

Kimberly’s approach is simple but effective. Each unit, she sends a quick email giving each student (yes, they’re customized!) an update on grades, areas for improvement, and offers of assistance. You’re probably thinking this is a time consuming process, but in reality, it’s not.

I adapted Kimberly’s model to my course. To ensure I don’t spend a great deal of time, I send a “canned” email that has a couple of comments customized. Each email is addressed to an individual student and includes a current grade average. If I noticed that all students struggled with a particular area that week, I include a tip to address that one area.

In the last two units, I’ve been struggling with showing students how to create a writers’ workshop in discussion. So my tip this week will include some links to sites on providing constructive feedback to peers. Next week, it will probably be an APA tip or two.

Don’t forget about phone calls. Sometimes that’s the push students need. Just hearing a real voice on the other end of the line may motivate them to participate regularly and substantively.

I am thankful to have experience on both sides of this issue. Understanding what students go through is half the battle to helping them improve. Yes, they’re adults, and yes, we should expect them to take ownership for their own education; but, many of our students aren’t particularly well-prepared for the adventure ahead, and if we can help them navigate the adventure to the best of their abilities, then we’ve added a great deal to their life and educational experiences.

Did you know…

Susan Honea changed her major four times (biology/pre-med, math, accounting, music) before settling on English? What got her attention? Southern literature...and a very good professor!  Susan is a Composition Professor in the School of Business and Management at Kaplan University.

[This article was originally published in our September, 2009 issue.]

No comments: